Sixteen years ago today I married this handsome, young man. He was and still is my very best friend and the one that I prefer to hang out with. We were engaged for a year and that was necessary for me to 1. decide what I even wanted for the wedding (I was a bit young) 2. we dated long distance (I lived in Kansas and his family in Indiana). We met when his parents came to Pastor my home church in Tulsa, Okla. Less than a year later my family moved to Kansas for work and David's parents took a pastorate in Greenfield, IN. We flew back and forth to see one another and kept the spark alive :) We "dated" for 5 whole years before he married me at age 19. So very young but I really do believe God put us together and I'm very happy with God's choice. I remember driving off after we were married and reveling in the fact that I didn't have to say good bye to him anymore. The photo (below) is a picture of this framed picture in our bedroom. It is the best I could do since our digital camera is only 2 yrs. old and I don't have a scanner. The colors for the wedding were black and like an emerald green. My Mother made my dress which this picture doesn't do it justice and my sister-in-law Rachel made the bouquet. It had tiny little lights in it. David's Dad married us and my Dad gave me away :) He said that wasn't easy. I didn't have a clue then but now that I have children I can only imagine.
I will close this post with an unusual song that we had sung that day but I love it still.
"THE SHIPS ARE BURNING" by Steve and Annie Chapman
We made this journey
We sailed here together
We made a promise
We'd stay here forever and when we reached the shore
We kissed the ground
You took my hand and we turned around And we smiled
While we watched the flames light up the night
Cause' the ships were burning, There'll be no turning back for you and me
Whatever we find here, We've made it clear
This is where we'll always be, On this island of pleasure
There'll be some danger ,And we might think about returning
But we both know we won't go
That's why the ships are burning.
Too many lovers are keeping their ships anchored in the bay
And one by lonely one we've seen them sail away
But when we reached the shore
We kissed the ground
You took my hand and we turned around and we smiled
While we watched the flames Light up the night.
"THE SHIPS ARE BURNING" by Steve and Annie Chapman
We made this journey
We sailed here together
We made a promise
We'd stay here forever and when we reached the shore
We kissed the ground
You took my hand and we turned around And we smiled
While we watched the flames light up the night
Cause' the ships were burning, There'll be no turning back for you and me
Whatever we find here, We've made it clear
This is where we'll always be, On this island of pleasure
There'll be some danger ,And we might think about returning
But we both know we won't go
That's why the ships are burning.
Too many lovers are keeping their ships anchored in the bay
And one by lonely one we've seen them sail away
But when we reached the shore
We kissed the ground
You took my hand and we turned around and we smiled
While we watched the flames Light up the night.

15 comments:
Happy anniversary! We had our 17th in June! Doesn't it sound like a loooong time but at the same time seems like yesterday?!
Julie W
Happy Anniversary! We were at your wedding! We lived in Kansas at the time and drove over to see Rachel and Philip. It doesn't seem like it's been 16 years!
I like that song, too. I think it's a neat song for a wedding.
Happy Anniversary!!! I hope you have a GREAT day!!
Happy Anniversary! I think the words to that song are beautiful. I've heard alot of Steve and Annie Chapman's songs but don't remember that one. Hope you have a wonderful day!
We are so proud of you two and glad you find happiness in one another still !! We love you both and wish you many many more years of love! Mom Dad Malaby
Congratulations you two! Hope this has been a very special day for a very special young couple! Bette
Happy Anniversary! Wow, how time flys - I was only 12 then and yet it doesn't seem all that long ago. I will never forget the tricks we played on ya'll after your wedding and then the treat was returned in abundance back on us. Great memories. You are a great couple and so very glad to have you for a cousin-in-law :)
Happy Anniversary! I have this song and love it. Great meaning. I also love their song - Married Lovers. Hope you have many more happy years together.
Happy Anniversary!
We're back home from TN and want to wish you a Happy Anniversary, also. We love you all very much and thank God for your happy marriage and wonderful family.
Congratulations! So glad you shared the picture and bits of the "match."
Sounds like you had a fun evening along with your three little blessings...I am looking forward to watching them so you can have a "real" date! That picture was so cute...It brought back memories of when I first met you! My...think of all the life experiences you (we) have had since then!(smile)Happy Anniversary! Hope this year will be one of your best yet!
cungradyoolashuns!!!!!!!!!!
:)
Happy Belated Anniversary!
Just came across your post. My wife and I had "The Ships are Burning" sung at our wedding, too. Cool.
A funny story, though. We did it during the unity candle ceremony and we couldn't get the candle lit! My best man was quite inventive and decided to light his bulletin on fire to give a little more flame to the situation. All of this was visible only from the camera at the front of the church. No one else knew until later that more than the ships were almost burning!
Post a Comment